Sunday, January 8, 2012

Giant Bird of Paridise splitting?

How do I split my giant Bird of Paridise. I asked my gardener to and I think he just dug and pulled off leaves as they don't have a bulb or rizone attached. What does the buld look like. I'm familiar with Canna splitting and Iris etc. but not this plant. It is huge and I don't think I can dig the whole thing alone so I figured there must be some bulbs on the outerstructure beneath the soil. Help!!

Giant Bird of Paridise splitting?
For best results, divide clumps during late spring or early summer. Dig up and separate old clumps, dividing those with four to five shoots into single-stem divisions. Remove dead leaves and roots and wash the roots. To prevent disease and insect carryover, soak divisions in a 1:10 dilution of bleach for ten minutes before planting.



Plant divisions at the same soil depth at which they were previously grown. Keep the soil moist until roots are established, then begin fertilizing. Divisions usually require at least three months to generate new roots.





Good Luck!!
Reply:I "broke" mine off...it's not like a bulb- bulb. It's hard to explain. It's like one main bulb....I broke/split it and repotted 2 of the pieces from the main part...they both are growing well. I put the third piece in the ground (shaded area), and it is growing well.

It comes close to Canna splitting...just do it the way you did those.


No comments:

Post a Comment